Apricot Galette w/ Buckwheat Crust
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 3 Tbls sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 oz 1 stick unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 3 tables ice water
- 1 Qt fresh apricots halved and pitted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 +1/2 Tbls corn starch
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 egg beaten for brushing dough
- Preheat oven 400°
- To the make dough, whisk together the flours, sugar and salt. Mix butter into the dry ingredients by squashing the pieces with your fingers until the mixture resembles course corn meal and holds together when squeezed. Now add ice water and mix until it forms into a ball. Don’t over mix. Form dough into a disk about 4 inches across.Chill for 1 hour.
- Mix together filling ingredient and let sit while you roll out dough.
- On a well floured surface, roll out dough until 14 inches across. Transfer dough to a parchment lined baking sheet. Place apricot halves in concentric circles, skin side up, leaving 1 + 1/2 inch border around the edge. Fold the border over the outside circle. Brush the edges with some of the egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake approximately 45 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbling in the center.