Chilled Asparagus Soup
Can be served hot or cold
- 1 + 1/2 lbs asparagus
- 2 Tbls butter
- 1/2 onion small dice
- 1 cup Yukon gold potatoes peeled small dice
- 1 qt. chicken or veggie stock
- salt + pepper
- Cut the top 1 +1/2 inches off your spears . Cut the bottom inch off of the remaining portion of spears and discard. Peel the next inch up from bottom, (that part is usually a little tough) then cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a pot of salted boiling water cook asparagus tops for about 3 minutes or until tender. Remove to ice water to stop cooking process, drain and cut into 1/4 inch pieces.
- In a medium soup pot, cook onions in butter over medium heat, covered , stirring often, Until translucent, about 7 minutes. Add potatoes and broth, bring to a boil and cook 1 minute. Add the center pieces of asparagus and cook 8 minutes or until potatoes and asparagus are tender. Cool .
- In a blender puree soup, until smooth. There should be no need to strain unless desired.
- Season with salt and pepper. Return asparagus tops, and serve. Hot or cold.