Worth the effort , this is a really delicious recipe
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Lbs cod filets
- 2 Tbls Butter
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1 + 1/2 cups oyster crackers or saltines coarsely crushed
- 1 + 1/2 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 tsp whole grain dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup neutral oil I use grape seed
- In a high rimmed pan place your bay leaf, water, lemon juice, salt and cod filets. Poach gently for about 10 minutes , until fish is cooked through. Remove fish from pan and let cool.
- In the same pan add your butter, celery, onion and garlic. Cook 7 to10 minutes until translucent. In large a bowl break up the cod into large flakes, add the celery, onion , garlic, crackers and sprinkle with old bay seasoning. Next in a small bowl mix your eggs , mayo, mustard, pepper and parsley, pour this over ingredients in large bowl and fold everything together. Now form mixture into patties, using about 1/3 cup for each. Chill in fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- Fry your cakes in 2 batches , in a heavy gauge pan over moderate heat, until golden brown on each side. Serve along with your favorite salad. Tartar sauce if you like , but does not really need it. Enjoy !