Its all about the pan and the method As requested by Mathew Perkins
- Fish filet such as mahi mahi catfish, salmon or striped bass
- Blacking Spice - look one up on the web or buy pre made
- Neutral oil with high burn rating grape seed is good
- First heat a black cast iron pan ( if you don’t own one ,go out and get one . They are cheep and extremely versatile) up super hot . So is smoking hot with nothing in it.
- Cover your fish on both sides with a generous amount of blacking spice. Next drizzle some oil on the fish, not the pan!! Place in pan and sear, moving the fish a little , but wait a minute before doing that , to give the fish a chance to crisp up. A skin gets created by leaving the fish in one spot. Cook filet 80% on the first side. Drizzle a little more oil on second side before flipping. Test for doneness with a fork. If it goes though easily the fish is done. Total cooking time maybe 6 minutes.