Stove Top Broccoli Rabe Pizza
Who wants to turn on the oven in the summer if you don’t have to. Makes two 9 inch pizzas
- 9 or 10 inch cast iron Skillet
- 1/8 cup Honey
- 1/8 cup Maple syrup
- 1 sprig fresh Rosemary
- 1 Bunch Broccoli Rabe
- 3/4 lbs Pizza dough frozen store bought room temp
- 8 oz. Whole Milk Ricotta
- S + P
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes cut in thin strips
- Red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano Cheese grated
- Olive Oil
- For the Rosemary drizzle combine honey, syrup + rosemary bring to a boil, then simmer 2 minutes, set aside.
- To prep the broccoli rabe start by cutting + discarding the first 1/4 inch off the bottom. Next break or cut in half the remaining portion, keeping the bottom and tops separate. Now in a large pot of salted boiling water drop the bottoms in when water returns to a boil add tops cook one minute, drain off water and plunge broccoli rabe into ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Preheat your largest skillet (preferably cast iron) using a low to medium flame. Divide the dough in half and roll each piece out on a lightly floured surface.Making them as thin possible.You may want to start by pressing the dough out with your fingers. Drizzle a little olive oil in your pan and drop one of the rolled out doughs in. Cook slowly (about 5 Minutes) rotating the pan and the dough around to encourage even browning.Drizzle a little more oil on top and flip over, cook about another minute. Remove from pan and set aside keeping the lesser cooked side down, repeat with second piece.
- Now its time to build your pizza. First spread out the ricotta cheese. Sprinkle it with a little s+p.
- Next place the broccoli rabe around.Top that with the sun-dried tomatoes, red pepper flakes and pecorino Romano cheese. To finish cooking place pie back in the pan and cook covered 4 minutes(ounce again moving pie around as it cooks) or until nice and brown. Don’t hurry the process the dough needs time to cook. Alternatively this can be finished in an oven or outside on a gas grill. If you decide to grill the pizza, lightly oil dough and place directly on grill.Fully cook dough on both sides, then finish after adding remaining ingredients on a sheet pan in grill with lid down . Finish off with rewarmed rosemary warmed syrup.