Stuffed Artichoke w/ Edamame + Lemon butter sauce
These ingredients are all approximations, so feel free to play around with recipe, add some other items if you like, for example maybe some Italian sausage or some additional herbs .
- 6 Large Artichokes – choose the heaviest greenest ones
- 3 Lemons
- 3 Cups sourdough bread broken up into little bits and pieces I use a food processor
- 4 Tbls olive oil divided
- 2 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 1 cup onion small dice
- 2 cups shelled edamame – cooked 4 minutes in salted boiling water
- 2 Tbls fresh oregano chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Sticks of Butter 1/2 pound
- To cook artichokes, first trim off the top inch of the choke, then using a scissors cut the little thorns off the top of outside leafs. Place chokes in lightly salted water with juice of one lemon and the lemon itself. The water should cover the chokes. Weigh them down with a smaller pot on top to keep them submerged. Bring them to a boil, then simmer approximately 30 minutes. Check for doneness by removing a leaf and pulling it through your teeth as you would when eating it. Remove chokes from the water and place on a tray, cut side down, so water can drain out. Cool.
- The next part is a little tricky, but with a little patience and practice you should be ok.
- First gently spread open the center portion of the choke, just enough so you can insert a small spoon. Carefully scoop out the center leaves ( they contain very little to eat) . Using a spoon scrape out the short needle part that is attached to the inside base and discard.
- Now for the stuffing.Gently cook your garlic in 2 Tbls of olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes, Add onions and continue cooking, 5 minutes. In a large bowl toss together your bread bits, garlic onion mixture, edamame, oregano, 2 Tbls of olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Place this mixture in, around and on top of your artichokes. Bake in a preheated 375° oven until golden brown on top, around 30 minutes. Melt butter and add the juice of remains 2 lemons.This is your dipping sauce. Enjoy