Tadka Dal Dip
This is a great party dip, serve with Roti or Pita
- 3/4 cup split yellow peas
- 3/4 cup split red lentils
- 3/4 cup split pigeon peas Toor dal
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 6 1/2 cups water
- 1 12 tsp grape-seed oil
- 1/4 tsp cardamon seeds from 4 pods that have been crushed and shells removed or 1/4 tsp ground cardamon
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 tsp cumin seeds divided
- 2 cups onion small dice
- 2 fresh Serrano or jalapeño chiles finely chopped / with or without seeds
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 3 tabls ghee
- 3 dried chiles left whole
- To start, mix together peas, lentils, toor dal, salt, turmeric and water in a large pot.Bring to a boil then simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender. You may need to add little more water. Keep warm.
- Next heat oil in a sauce pan, add spices using just half of the cumin seeds.Cook until fragrant about 30 seconds add onion and chiles, cook until lightly browned about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and add tomato and cilantro then add this mixture to the warm dal.
- To finish, heat the ghee up in a small pan add dried chiles and remaining cumin seeds, cook until seeds start to pop and chiles are toasted pour this over the top of dal. Yum !