Buckwheat Groats Pilaf (Kasha) W/ Mushrooms + Olives
Nutty Fluffy + Gluten Free
- 1 + 1/2 Cups Whole Kernel Buckwheat
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbls Neutral oil
- ½ Medium Onion Diced
- 1 Jalapeño or Serrano Chili Small dice
- 2 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Salt + Pepper
- 1 + 1/2 Cups Oyster Mushrooms or another kind - sliced
- 1 + 1/2 Tbls Butter
- 2 Green Onions sliced
- In a Medium heavy gauge black cast iron pan or 2 quart sauce pot heat oil over a medium heat.
- Mix together egg and buckwheat then add to pan. Slowly toast this mixture stirring frequently about 5 minutes.
- Add your onion and chili pepper, continue stirring until the grains are lightly browned and fragrant another 5 minutes.
- Next add your broth along with some salt and fresh ground pepper. Bring this to a boil, lower temperature and cover.
- Next sauté the mushrooms in the butter and then stir them into your simmering groats.
- Continue cooking until done. Total time about 35 minutes.
- Test for doneness by tasting how firm the groats are, you may need to add a tiny bit more liquid.
- Let groats rest covered for at least 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Garnish with green onions. Enjoy