Classic Beef Stew
looks complicated , but not really
- 7 Tbls vegetable oil Divided
- 3 lbs beef 1 inch cubes Seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 large onion medium dice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups celery large dice
- 2 Tbls flour
- 2 Tbls tomato paste
- ½ Tbls fresh thyme leaves or 1 tsp dry
- 2 bay leafs
- 2 + 1/2 cups beef stock
- ¾ lbs fingerling potatoes boiled until tender and cut in half
- 1 lbs carrots large slices
- ½ lbs parsnips large slices
- ½ lbs turnips large slices
- Preheat oven 375°
- In a cast iron pan brown off beef cubes in 3 batches using 1 Tbls or so of oil , remove meat from pan and add red wine, stir to remove brown bits stuck to pan. Reserve liquid. In a large pot heat 3 Tbls of oil , add onions , garlic and celery. Cook gently 10 minutes , add flour cook 2 minutes stirring constantly, add tomato paste, stir 1 minute . Now add the beef , beef stock, thyme, bay leafs, reserved liquid and enough water to cover meat . Cook covered very slowly approximately 2 hrs or until tender.
- While your meat is cooking roast your veggies by tossing them with remaining oil, salt and pepper and cooking until tender about 35 minutes.
- When meat is tender stir in your potatoes and veggies. and serve away.